On Monday, April 18th, the WGSD will be holding their second Human Growth and Development Informational Meeting from 5:30-6:30 pm at Fox River Middle School. The purpose of the meeting is to review the current curriculum as well as discuss new topics that have been proposed. The Advisory meeting provides the school board with community input before the school board votes to approve any proposed changes to the Human Growth and Development curriculum.
In summary, the proposed changes/additions to the curriculum are described in the presentation as:
Respect of diversity in regard to attraction and relationship. Common orientation terminology. How can one be respectful to other diversity in regard to gender? What is gender identity? What is gender expression?
To help community members gather information and determine if they want to attend the April 18th meeting, I am sharing the following information:
- Video of the February 8, 2016 – Policy & Curriculum Committee Meeting discussing the Human Growth & Development curriculum and January 26th Advisory Meeting (0:00-10:00)
- Summary of State Statute 118.019 from Wisconsin’s Human Growth & Development Resource Guide – includes link to full resource guide
- Minutes from the January 26th Human Growth and Development Advisory meeting as previously posted in the March 2016 WGSD Newsletter
- Link to the slide presentation shared at the January 26th, 2016 Human Growth and Development Advisory meeting
- Link to the information embedded in the slide presentation that is titled: Health Curriculum – Draft Health Curriculum 2016-2017 (Utilizing State 2011 Standards).
Many thanks to the following WGSD staff for their hard work and expertise on Human Growth and Development: Fox River Health Teachers Miss Zuekle and Mr. Rundaug, Fox River Principal Mrs. Markle, and Assistant Superintendent – Curriculum and Instruction Kathy Hoppe
Posted by Matt Kranich on 3/8/2016
WGSD Parent and WGSD School Board Member
You can read the entire resource guide here: Wisconsin Human Growth & Development Resource Guide. You can view the full State statute at: http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/118/019